Date: May 21, 2022
SIOS Protection Suite for Linux Evaluation Guide for AWS Cloud Environments
Get Started Evaluating SIOS Protection Suite for Linux in AWS
Use this step-by-step guide to configure and test a two-node cluster in AWS to protect resources such as Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, NFS, SAP, and SAP HANA.
Before You Begin Your Evaluation
Review these links to understand key concepts you’ll need before you begin your failover clustering project in AWS.
- High Availability, RTO, and RPO – Gain a clear understanding of the fundamental concepts of HA.
- SIOS Protection Suite for Linux – Integrated Components – Understand the components included in SIOS Protection Suite: SIOS LifeKeeper, DataKeeper and application recovery kits/
- Benefits of SIOS Protection Suite for Linux – Learn how SIOS Protection Suite for Linux provides superior data protection
- How Workloads Should be Distributed when Migrating to a Cloud Environment – Unlike on=premises environments, public cloud offerings give you a wide range of geographical regions availability zones to choose from when deploying your workloads. Learn best practices for choosing a workload distribution strategy for the cloud.
- Public Cloud Platforms and their Network Structure Differences – Public cloud providers have their own networking structures. Learn the basics of how these structures affect your cluster configuration.
- How a Client Connects to the Active Node – Learn the key clustering mechanisms that detect and manage the response to application failures.
- How does Data Replication between Nodes Work? – Ensuring redundancy of storage is essential. Learn how SIOS DataKeeper efficiently replicates data between nodes.
- What is “Split Brain” and How to Avoid It Learn how to ensure you maintain one active node and one or more standby node(s) even when the network connection fails.
Configuring Network Components
This section outlines the computing resource required for each node, the network structure and the process required to configure these components.
- Learn how to configure network components for failover clustering
- Network Structure Used in this Tutorial
- Compute Resources Used in this Tutorial
Creating an Instance on AWS EC2 from Scratch
- Creating an Instance on AWS from Scratch
- Switching between AWS Services
- Deciding on an AWS Region
- Creating the VPC
- Creating a Subnet
- Creating an Internet Gateway and Assigning it to the VPC
- Creating the Route Table
- Creating a Security Group
- Creating the First EC2 Instance
- Creating the Second and Third Instances
Configure Linux Nodes to Run SIOS Protection Suite for Linux
Install SIOS Protection Suite for Linux
Login and Basic Configuration
Protecting Critical Resources
- Creating an IP Resource in an On-premises Environment
- Switching between Nodes in a Cloud Environment
Once the IP resource is protected, initiate a switchover (where the “standby” node becomes the “active” node) to test the functionality.